Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Interview: Joe Preston of Thrones


At a recent show at The Caledonia Lounge in Athens, GA, I sat down with Joe Preston, performing that night as the solo act, Thrones, for a brief interview touching on musical theory and the future of Thrones. Preston is best known for his early work with Earth, the Melvins, and more recently with Sunn O))), High On Fire, and Harvey Milk.

Brad Olsen: Hi Joe, it’s good to meet you. You’re performing tonight as your solo act, Thrones. Does being a one-man-band have many benefits?

Joe Preston: Yeah. In a way it lets me express myself without limits.

Brad Olsen: You play bass as well as sing live. Do you write your own lyrics?

Joe Preston: My “lyrics” are all stream of consciousness. I just say whatever feels natural. Of course, after performing night after night, a lot of the same stuff tends to get repeated.

Brad Olsen: Who were some of your earliest influences?

Joe Preston: Oh I was into all the usual stuff. Kiss, Alice Cooper. But I wouldn’t say it shows in my playing too much. Too many bands try hard to imitate the stuff they like. I don’t wanna be like anybody else. I don’t categorize myself into any genre because my influences are so broad.

Brad Olsen: How often do you write? Any new music in the works?

Joe Preston: I used to ferociously, but not so much anymore. I just released “Wage War” [a 7” on Conspiracy records] this year and I’ve got a split with Sedan, a band from Washington [state] coming soon.

Brad Olsen: It’s all written and recorded?

Joe Preston: I’m done with the recording and sequencing. I just need to mix it and then it’ll be released.